USIC MEETING May 7 2008


Present: Rachel Akeson, Charles Townes, Tom Armstrong, Michelle Creech-Eakman, Eric Bakker, Steve Ridgway, Theo ten Brummelaar (chair), Dave Leisawitz


ACTION ITEMS FROM PREVIOUS MEETING:



SUMMARY:


Steve posted a draft letter to the community on the USIC web site. The idea is to recruit people who would contribute ideas to a white paper for the Decadal Review and who might be interested in joining USIC. Read it and send comments.

At the next meeting, we should identify leaders of the working groups so we're prepared with their names at the SPIE.

Steve talked with Wes Traub and Taft Armandroff (new Keck director); Armandroff suggested getting someone from Keck and someone from Berkeley involved in USIC.

Physics Today still seems like the best venue for an article.

Theo will set up a restricted-access part of the Wiki page for meeting notes and drafts.

ACTIONS:


From this meeting:


  • All: Comment on Steve's draft.
  • All: Identify leaders of working groups at next meeting.
  • Theo: Set up a controlled-access part of the Wiki.
  • Tom: Contact Lowell about their October meeting.

From previous meetings:


  • All: Think about nominees to the Decadal panel.
  • Steve: Contact Phil Hinz.