USIC MEETING June 12th 2008


Present: Rachel Akeson, Charlie Townes, Don Hutter, Tom Armstrong, Michelle Creech-Eakman, Steve Ridgway, Theo ten Brummelaar, Dave Leisawitz

Agenda:

  1. Action items from previous meeting.
  2. Preparation for breakout session at SPIE
  3. Physics Today Article
  4. 2009 Year of Astronomy
  5. USIC Membership
  6. Time of next meeting
  7. Other Business

1. ACTION ITEMS FROM PREVIOUS MEETING:


  • Steve: Contact Phil Hinz: Done: Interested, but couldn't attend today.
  • Steve: Ask about travel support at NOAO for a possible working group meeting. Done: Preliminary concurrence to support a small meeting.
  • All: Think about nominees to the Decadal panel. Update: There will be more emphasis in the Decadal Panel on people familiar with costing, project management, public policy, etc., so astronomer nominees should have very broad experience. We should push for OI representation after the subpanel structure is chosen.
  • All: Comment on Steve's draft. Done: The letter has been sent.
  • All: Identify leaders of working groups at next meeting.
  • Theo: Set up a controlled-access part of the Wiki. Pending
  • Tom: Contact Lowell about their October meeting. Pending

2. PREPARATION FOR BREAKOUT SESSION AT SPIE:


The breakout session at the SPIE (Tuesday 24 June, 7:30 pm) will be structured much like the AAS session. Europeans are welcome. Working groups will not be formed there.

The following people have responded to the recent email:

Christian Hummel (ESO)
Robert Stencil (Uni Denver)
Jean Philippe Berger (Grenoble)
Jorg-Uwe Pott (Keck)
Denis Mourard (Grasse)
Nicholas Elias (Uni Heidelberg)
Gerard van Belle (ESO)
Guy Perin (Meudon)
Julian Woillez (Keck)
Christopher Tycner (Central Michigan)
Michael Hrynevych (Keck)
Peter Wizinowich (Keck)
William Danchi (Goddard)
Phil Hinz (U of A)

3. PHYSICS TODAY ARTICLE:


Theo got the following response from the editorial staff:

Dear Dr. ten Brummelaar,

Some weeks ago, you proposed to write an article for Physics Today's readers on optical interferometry. Thank you for your patience. We have now discussed your proposal, consulted with several experts, and concluded that it's a fine idea. I have attached your "official" invitation; we will also send a hard copy on our letterhead to your Mt. Wilson address. Our author guidelines are included with the letter.

We look forward to working with you. Should any questions or concerns arise, feel free to contact me.

With best regards,
--Steve Benka

Physics Today would like a 4500-word article with three or fewer authors (Theo, Michelle, Hal), to be ready by mid-September. USIC members will get together in Marseilles at or after the breakout session to discuss focal points of the article.

4. YEAR OF ASTRONOMY 2009:


We will discuss possible participation in the Year of Astronomy at the next teleconference.

5. USIC MEMBERSHIP:


Hal McAlister and Andy Boden are dropping out as active members. Sam Ragland (KI) will join.

6. NEXT TELECONFERENCE:


July 10, 1:00 PDT = 2:00 MDT = 4:00 EDT

7. OTHER BUSINESS:


Michelle has requested an evening session for the AAS January meeting [in Long Beach], but has not yet heard back from the AAS.